Attracting Your Perfect Match

I was about checking in that faithful day; Friday 6th June, 2012...suddenly I looked to my left and noticed the check in point for Dana airways was just next to Aero Contractors; in a bit to fit the names and faces of the ones we lost as a nation, cousins, friends, family, sisters, brothers, daddies...; imagining their positions on the queue as they were checked in, the thoughts in their minds, the appointment some were trying to make. Most would have called their loved ones; “babes, am about checking in, see you in few hours...” some would have been, “please tell the driver to start going to the airport, should be there in an hour”.
The taxi man who took me to the airport had his car radio tuned to Kiss FM, of all the songs that were played, it was White Flag by Dido that got my attention and this song kept on playing in my head as I was lost in thought when I remembered Tunde (Not his real name) promised his wife he was going to take her out when he returns.
I actually thought I had outgrown the sanguine choice of music as I now have more control of myself, choices, and my judgments seem to be sound these days in making more choices to reduce my frequent mistakes.
I flew few days after the crash. Trust you’ll be interested in what I was going for? Was it worth it? Coupled with the fact that my 7:45pm flight was eventually cancelled and I had to stay back at the airport to be able to meet up with the 7am flight. I just felt it didn’t make any sense going back home at 11pm and having to start rushing back to the airport the next morning.  I had told my wife, then fiancée, I will be seeing her that night. We were supposed to spend the night together in the pastor’s house cos the night was supposed to be dedicated for our marriage counselling but I ended up spending it with a few other people who we were supposed to board together.
Looking at the face of my fiancée the next morning, wrinkles gradually disappeared with a sigh of relief and a smile. At that point I passed the final test; there were no more doubts even on the pastor’s mind as he actually did soft pedal on the routine. I could read his mind saying “if this young man could take the risk to fly when Dana crash is still very fresh, his intention should not be doubted”. It didn’t stop just at that, I could also hear it from his eyes saying; some would have said, “Dear, I think we should postpone the wedding until the air becomes fresh and the sky becomes blue again.
When I think about it now, the importunate questions are, what was I thinking? What actually motivated me, even when family members called or advised the date should be postponed? We did postpone twice but I discovered people can never have a better time for you, most especially in spiritual things like marriage. Marriage makes a whole lot of difference in destiny, it can either take you to glory or yank you down; sure you can readily comprehend this if you are married. People have shed more tears than you can ever make-up just because they took this step. How do two people go from “I can’t do without you to I regret ever meeting you” even within a short period? My wedding was a low budget wedding compared to some that; reception in International Conference Centre, Eko Hotel or Thisday Dome, honeymoon in Dubai or Hawaii in Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows. I have heard couples fighting and tearing their clothes even on their wedding night. Some cheat on each other without even blinking. Some even cannot trust each other with things as minute as their ATM pin; “she must not know how much i earn”, “my husband is the head, so he must provide for everything, my salary is for me and me alone”. They are only one when it comes to sex but two in other things. This is like spending so much money to buy sorrows
On a Sunday, during one of the Sunday school classes, my pastor asked some couples this question, why did you get married? The responses were; for companionship, support, help...but the truth is, even though we get married for these things, sometimes, when situations succeed in taking God out of the equations, work Mondays to Fridays, PGD or Masters’ classes weekends, companionship can be found in others, help, support, even warmth can be got from anyone around at that time. Situations like these are usually christened Mistakes. You might not want to face this truth, man’s desires are voracious, pastors alike and you can readily link this to the discouraging news we keep hearing. However, “Let him that think he stand take heed” (1st Cor. 12:12).
We can only constantly curb the desires of emotion cos wrong or misplaced priorities will always produce confusion, confusion will always produce mistakes and mistakes most times produces consequences one will behold all the days of one’s life;  a child outside wedlock will forever remain a child outside wedlock.
I desired to get married earlier than when I eventually did. If I did, I probably would have made a mess of it coz I still was unbroken, selfish; me, you have to align with my insecurities to take your decisions even though I thought I was so so caring. Above all, I would have married the wrong woman. When God saw I was ready, He blessed me with treasures, virtues, submission, favour, wisdom in bodily form. Sometimes, instead of dying to fix a broken relationship, you can as well take your eyes off the one that fails to see the good in you and focus on the One (God) that created you. Only at that point will you be saying; “I need your help God”. He in turn steps in with your perfect match.
At the point God decided to bless me, He singled me out in the presence of family members and a few other people, asking me to walk majestically before Him, wiped my tears and asked me to start again. Marriage is sweet if God is your foundation. I love my wife and son and have continuously refused to cheat on her; for every compromise, you lose something significant spiritually but because most have thrown away their spiritual mind, they tend to allow more compromise. I got married for destiny; my eyes are on the promise.
 You don’t really have to take my advice but if you mull over it; righteousness actually pays, purity really attracts God, faithfulness comes with blessings, commitment introduces favours, and sacrifice will take you to glory.
You don’t have to give up on the one you claim to love even when the future is bleak. You can plan your wedding but you can’t plan your marriage, it’s a lifelong commitment. For those that are wise, they know their beauty, fame, money, and packaging can’t keep it, only God can. Make Him your foundation. If marriage was about beauty, celebrities won’t consider divorce.
Above all , you can rebuild, no matter where you have missed it.
I love you but the Lord loves you more than I do.

Buf Akpan
For SPEAP Family.    

Popular Posts